Saturday, June 7, 2008

We went hiiiikin'

We took the girls up to the Red Hill to take in the sights and climb the rocks. They really enjoyed it, and so did we. The following story is not for the weak of heart, and don't be fooled by the adorable posing girls... they are hard-core climbers and defied death today.

We knew that attempting to summit "Sugarloaf" would be a trying and technical climb. After months of training and acclimatization runs we felt that we were ready. We carbo-loaded and set off in search of where to start our ascent.

There was a small disagreement from different members of the party as to where we should set up base camp. After setting Hallie straight (She wanted to base at 28,000 ft. Ha!), we set up our route that we would follow, traversing some very difficult, but very scenic areas.

After a few really technical spots, we had made it nearly to the most dangerous portion of the climb. The mountain is unforgiving for those who attempt to master it who are not worthy.


We got cocky after fending off what we thought would be the most tricky of the segments when suddenly the girls fell into a deep ravine. After carving out these hand holds with my pocket knife, I was able to join up with them We had to eat snakes and drink our own urine before I was able to lead them to safety through with Bree's guidance from above. It was not pretty.


We did make it to the very top, and we loved the view from the highest point within 50 feet or so. The air was thin, and we thought that we could even see stars in the middle of the day, but we could not stay long because at those altitudes, there is very little to protect you from solar radiation... and the kids wanted root beer.





(I think most of you thought that it was funny right up until the urine thing... then I know you thought it was funny.)

6 comments:

Kerry said...

that is because....YOU ARE THE MAN.
great write up, i think Outdoor magazine should take you on

Taneill said...

WOW you guys must have done a real good job on your apartment- they have replaced the carpet and resurfaced your tub- an no one is moving in for at least another week. :) we miss you guys! Looks like you are having lots of fun is sunny St. George.

Taneill

Carly said...

I love those pictures, Annie and Hallie are SOOO cute!!! and ofcourse the Heroic display of hiking ability was also very impressive!!

Lori said...

I want to go hiiiiking with you guys! We always just walk around. I love the fun things you guys do as a family. Your girls are so photo genic!

Julie said...

I knew it! I told you not to move to St. George, and here you are putting yourselves in life-threating situations. I'm glad the girls can still smile so sweetly after defying death. We really miss you guys, and your urine senses of humor.

Brad and Marci said...

That looks like such a fun time. If only all of us could raise our kids in warm weather! Bree you said you look like you are 6 months pregnant but you don't even look 6 weeks you look GREAT!