So I found out on Monday that I have gestational diabetes. Not such a bad thing other than the fact that you should find out at 28 weeks and I found out at 34. My Doctor sent me to a high risk doc. and he took an ultrasound of the baby. She is already 6 lbs 12 oz. Ummm.... I still have 6 weeks left Doc. No worries, I am actually 35 weeks and they won't let me go past 39 weeks. So I only have 4 weeks left!!Oh, and if she gets to 8 lbs 12 oz. then they will take her by c-section. Not what I find to be the most comforting news to me. I know that everything will be just fine, but I am still worried about little Natalie. Is she going to have problems after birth? Is she going to be really fat and then have to drink the cream that I produce which will only make her fatter? Will she be more at risk for having diabetes later in life?
One suggestion, don't ever read about medical stuff online. It scares the crap out of you and most of it is not for the common person. Ask your husband, if he is into that medical stuff, or write down your questions and drill your doc. when you see him next. Much more comforting!
So now my schedule is this:
-see my normal doc. once a week
- see the high risk doc. 2 times a week with an ultrasound every other week.
- take my blood sugar level 4 times a day
- eat healthy food, no sugar
- chase 3 other kiddos around
- clean the house (maybe this one can wait for my mom to get here!)
- try to be happy that my body is still round as ever
- say lots of prayers and rely on my faith
Wish Me Luck!
13 comments:
No sugar! I'm so sorry. I hope everything will be ok. I'm sure it will. Good luck with baby #4. I'm jealous.
Bree, my mom had gestational diabetes. All 6 of her kids were big (I was 9 lb), the largest being 11 lb 13 oz. Oh yeah, and she was born vaginally without an epidural. That was my youngest sister and, no, she does not have any side effects from being a large baby at birth. Yes, she was bigger at first, but it all evened out after a few months. She just didn't gain as much weight right away as other babies her age and that was fine.
Another thing though is that gestational diabetes is genetic. Since my mom had it, I put it in my history when I visit the doctor for pregnancy. I'm at a higher risk to get it with my pregnancies, but since I know that, I am super careful with sugar (as in, I don't eat any desserts while pregnant). I eat fruit and carbs, but NO processed sugar.
Anyway, I just thought you might like to know that it should be okay. Just out of curiosity, why would they want to do a C-section if she's only 8 lb 12 oz? Ella was 8 lb 13 oz and I delivered her vaginally. Are your hips too small? If your doctor hasn't given you details about why he would recommend a c-section, then you might want to ask him.
Hope that's not TMI. Good luck with the last few weeks!
I'm sorry Bree. Good luck with these last few weeks. We'll be praying for you and Natalie. :)
I just wanted to add to Emily's comment - all of my kids were over 9lbs (without any gestational diabetes) Roy was 10lbs when he was born. My doctors are always concerned about diabetes, but I guess I just have big babies. Anyway, I had them all vaginally without any problems. So don't let them push you into a c-section if you don't want one (but if you are fine with one then that's fine)
And my kids have always been about the same size of other babies by the time they are around 9 months old. Breastfed babies tend to be leaner by their first birthdays.
And I know it's kinda random that I'm commenting since I rarely do, but I saw on Ashley Orme's blog sidebar that you had blogged and I thought I'd check it out.
I agree don't let them push you unless it is for some type of medical reason. I love you and I am sure everything will be fine. I don't know how you could have unhealthy children with all you do with them and for them. On the other hand my kids are all normal and the doc looks at me and wants me to watch their diet lol. Just goes to show that dr's don't know everything (sorry to burst your bubble Tyler LOL) So follow your gut and do what feels right for you. Take a stand and be a stinker if you need and don't let them push you into anything your not comfortable with.
C-cections aren't all bad though and with Elizabeth we were going to try a vbac but when the doc asked me if i wanted to have the baby since I was already at the hospital, I felt strongly that I needed to go ahead with it. Come to find out she had the cord wrapped around her neck and she probably would not have made it through regular birth. So follow that mothers intuition and the spirit will guide you.
You are a great mama and little Natalie is lucky to have you. Love ya!
aw man, there go the milkshakes!
i'm sure little natalie will be fine.
docs just have to be overly cautious and give us preggo moms a good scare. i know how much i worried thru my pregnancies ... it's tough NOT to!!
any little thing that was wrong on the ultrasound would always worry me SO much! remember when they thought simon had hydrocephalus? google THAT! i was so scared. and of course he is FINE. (and weighed 9 lbs 4 oz ... thankfully i chose to get the epidural on that one, haha)
xoxo
love ya!
I had Gestational Diabetes with Jackson and maybe with Sophie (still waiting for the results). I had to have him c-section only because he had big shoulders that wouldn't fit through my birth canal...he was 8lbs 6 3/4oz two weeks early. He hasn't had any lasting problems from me having diabetes. I have a really simple and easy diet that the dietitian gave me that helped keep my sugars low. Also for me walking for 10 minutes after every meal helped lower them too. I also had the ultrasounds but I was actually grateful for those because I got to see Jackson all the time and know he was OK. I miss having them with Sophie. I freaked out when I found out that I may have it again but I've done it once I can do it again. Don't stress yourself out to much it will be over before you know it.
Sorry to hear that. It's never fun to have any reason to cause concern when it comes to your babies! But, I'm sure everything will be just fine and you'll come out of it with a beautiful, happy baby girl! And, hopefully, a happy momma too! As for the diet that is low on sugar....YAY for you! Welcome to my world. It's actually not bad, especially for only 4 weeks. I can give you some awesome recipes for desserts with no white sugar if you ever feel a need! Love you. Good luck, and I REALLY want to see that belly before it's gone!
Your schedule sounds so hectic! I hope you have lots of help. Wish we were closer to watch your kids for you or come over and clean your house. I would volunteer to come out there and help you if I didn't know you have family who will take care of you. I am sure everything will be okay. And I agree, never read medical info on the internet especially when you are pregnant. Scares you to death. :)
Just to add to what others have said. Hero was almost 11 lbs at birth and she delivered just fine... Easy labor actually. Everyone kept asking if I had gestational diabetes. But she was just big. and stayed big and chubby, but is just starting to thin out now (15 months).
Things will work out however it happens. c-sections are so routine these days too that even if you do go that way I'm sure it will be nothing to worry about. Big hugs. We'll be praying for you.
This is total proof that every pregnancy is different. I am sorry that you are experiencing this but I know that you are a strong lady and you can do this.
Nikki was born 4 weeks early and there was no complications. This will only make Natalie stronger.
I am sorry! Checking blood sugars is never fun. Take it from someone who knows. Since I have never had kids I can empathize with the blood sugars and the trying to eat healthy. Yay for diabetes right? I will pray that your blood sugars stay in control. If you can run a half marathon you can do this with no problem! :)
Bree I love ya! You are amazing at how well you deal with every thing that is thrown at you!! You are in our prayers, and I am way jealous you only have 4 weeks left!(I think it is a good thing you found out late) Take Care!!
Oh Bree I'm so sorry. I wish we still lived close by so I could come steal your little ones. Natalie will be healthy and strong. Hang in there---were thinking about you.
Post a Comment